The Blast2GO team is organizing in colaboration with the Prince Felipe Research Center (CIPF) since several year the International Course in Automated Functional Annotation and Data Mining. This course provides know-how and bioinformatics resources for assigning rich functional labels to high-dimensional sequence datasets and for extracting new knowledge from annotation data.
Introduction to the workshop
Cost reduction in sequencing technologies is resulting in a growing number of laboratories getting involved in genome sequencing projects where a large amount of sequencing data is generated. After assembly, a large amount of unique sequences are obtained which need to be further characterized with putative functions. Good and sufficient functional annotations are decisive for follow up analyses such as gene expression, strain variations, tissue functional profiling, etc.
The course will teach on the principles and practical aspects of automated functional annotation of (novel) sequence data. Participants will learn how to : Create and run standard or costumed pipelines for generating functional labels for sequence data. Design annotation strategies and generate different annotation types Create a local database installation for annotation speed up Evaluate and report the results of the functional annotation pipeline Perform data-mining and knowledge discovery using functional annotation and experimental data Study similarities and differences between annotation datasets Generate and modify knowledge-containing functional annotation graphs
The course will be based on the use of Blast2GO application and will mainly comprise exercises and practical cases. Participants might bring their own data.
Who should attend?
Experimentalists and bioinformaticians working on EST, Next Generation Sequencing and microarray design projects, specially (but not exclusively) of non-model species.
Past course locations
- Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Oeiras, Portugal AFAMD12: February-March 29-01, 2012
- Irapuato, Mexico: May 9-11, 2012
- University of California, UC Davis, Davis, California, US: July 11-13, 2012
- Centro de Investigaciones Príncipe Felipe, Valencia, Spain: September 28-30, 2012
- Centro de Investigaciones Príncipe Felipe, Valencia, Spain: September 28-30, 2011
- University of California, Davis (UC Davis), Davis, California, US: July 26-28, 2011
- University of Granada (as part of: Data analysis workshop for massive sequencing data): June, 16th, 2011
- Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Oeiras, Portugal: February 24-25, 2011
- University of Cape Town, South Africa: December 8-10, 2010
- Royal Plaza Hotel, Orlando, Florida, United States: November 16-18, 2010
- Centro de Investigaciones Príncipe Felipe, Valencia, Spain: October 20-22, 2010
- Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciência, Oeiras, Portugal: May 13-14, 2010
- University of Cape Town, South Africa: December 3-4, 2009
- Royal Plaza Hotel, Orlando, Florida, United States: October 14-16, 2009
- Centro de Investigaciones Príncipe Felipe, Valencia, Spain: October 20-22, 2009